Our curriculum is driven by the need to prepare our children for lifelong learning. At Purwell School, we offer a rich and vibrant curriculum which is ambitious for all learners. Through our curriculum, we develop the essential knowledge, skills and understanding which are the building blocks for later life. Our curriculum encompasses not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but goes beyond the experiences of the classroom to ensure that our children are exposed to the richest and most varied opportunities that we can provide. Our aim is to enrich every child’s school experience by creating an environment where they are encouraged to succeed and be the best they can be.
At Purwell School, cultural capital prepares children with the essential knowledge and skills for their future. The exploration of new skills and experiences help to nurture resilience, curiosity and creativity. The curriculum is further enhanced by our commitment to Values-based Education (including British Values) and, through this, we provide learning experiences which promote confident, self-motivated pupils, eager for lifelong learning.
The aims of our school curriculum are:
- to foster the children’s understanding of ‘belonging and being’ and how they connect to the past, live in the present and look to the future; encouraging curiosity and a passion to learn
- to promote a ‘do your best’ attitude towards learning, so that all children enjoy coming to school and embrace new challenges and possibilities; pushing their own boundaries
- to enable children to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills; being ‘determined to succeed’ and becoming independent thinkers and questioners; acquiring a solid basis for lifelong learning
to promote Values-based Education so children take responsibility for themselves and their actions, are respectful and develop resilience
- to fulfil all the requirements of the National Curriculum and the Locally Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education
Summer term curriculum overviews will be posted shortly.
- Acorn Class Summer 2021 (14KB)
- Holly Class Summer 2021 (61KB)
- Willow Class Summer 2021 (68KB)
- Beech Summer 2021 (60KB)
- Oak Class Summer 2021 (69KB)
- Maple Summer 2021 (68KB)
- Aspen Summer 2021 (67KB)
Curriculum overviews were not produced during the Spring term because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Holly Class (Year 1) (157KB)
- Willow Class (Year 2) (140KB)
- Beech Class (Year 3) (114KB)
- Maple Class (Year 4) (96KB)
- Aspen Class (Year 5) (97KB)
- Oak Class (Year 6) (100KB)
Curriculum overviews were not produced during the Summer term because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Holly Class (Year 1) (215KB)
- Willow Class (Year 2) (278KB)
- Beech Class (Year 3) (188KB)
- Maple Class (Year 4) (134KB)
- Aspen Class (Year 5) (169KB)
- Oak Class (Year 6) (161KB)
- Maths Calculation Policy (1MB)
- Spelling Bee - Summer 2018 (157KB)
- PE Curriculum overview (186KB)
- Reading Scheme (148KB)
- Assessment - Herts Steps (490KB)